Today ‘The Writer Inside‘ shares with you the benefits of drinking water.
Many of you may not be aware of these benefits. So what are you waiting for? Read these benefits one-by-one and I am sure that after reading these benefits, you will start drinking 8-10 glasses of water from tomorrow :).
Happy drinking water!
Water is the main component of human body. Our body contains around 60% water by weight. Water has no carbohydrates, fats, sugar and hence, contains no calories. Regular and enough water consumption has a number of health benefits. Experts recommend drinking eight (8) to ten (10) glasses of water everyday to maintain good health.
1. Drinking enough water daily maintains the body’s fluid balance. This helps transport nutrients in the body, regulate the body temperature, and digest food.
2. Water relieves from fatigue. If we do not stay hydrated, physical performance suffers. Drinking enough water is particularly important during intense exercise and in summers. When there is less water content in the body, there is a drop in blood volume. This drop causes the heart to work harder to pump oxygenated blood in the bloodstream. The other major organs also work less efficiently due to the drop in blood volume. Drinking adequate water helps the body function better and reduces fatigue. So, if you do intense exercise, and sweat a lot, do drink water and stay hydrated.
3. Drinking enough water helps in digestion and constipation. Drinking sufficient water boosts one’s metabolism and helps the body properly break down food. Water improves the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. This helps one’s digestive system work well and promotes regular bowel movements. Inadequate water in the body often results in constipation as the colon pulls water from the digested food to maintain hydration, thereby making the stools harder and difficult to pass. Low water consumption appears to be a serious cause for constipation in both young and elderly individuals.
4. Water is an excellent detoxifier. It flushes out toxins from the body through urine and sweat. Certain toxins in our body can cause skin inflammation. The skin inflammation results in clogged pores and acne. Water flushes out these toxins, reduces the risk of getting pimples and improves the skin complexion. The color of the urine is a good indicator of the level of hydration in body. The lighter the color, the better the level of hydration. Water also promotes kidney’s functions and reduces kidney stones by diluting the salts and minerals in urine that cause kidney stones.
5. Headaches and migraines are often caused by dehydration. Lack of water in human body can cause headaches and migraines in some individuals. Studies have shown that water can relieve headaches in persons who are dehydrated. If one has a headache or migraine, the first thing that he/she can try is to drink plenty of water. This may be able to give some relief and improve mood. Drinking water can help people concentrate and stay refreshed and alert.
6. Drinking plenty of water can help lose weight. This is due to the fact that water can increase satiation and boost metabolic rate. Drinking two glasses of water prior to taking food can help suppress appetite. When one drinks water, it fills the stomach and reduces the tendency to eat more. Water also helps increase the rate at which the body burns fat, and promotes the breakdown and elimination of fat cells. Drinking water is always better than drinking high-calorie drinks like alcohol, and sugary aerated drinks and sodas. These drinks aid in weight gain due to high sugar content and calories.